Skip to main content

The obituary of a wisdom tooth




It is said that wise men speak less. But as a wisdom tooth, I am making an exception. And I’m not just speaking for me but for the countless wisdom teeth that have suffered before me and the countless others that will suffer a similar fate till the end of time.

This is our collective story. Sorry, our collective obituary.

The beginning of the end

For the past few days, my master has been holding his jaw ever so often. You know that vague sense of unease when something is about to happen but you don’t know what that is? The mouthwash tastes different, antiseptic like. Of course, I can’t be the problem. I am ensconced somewhere in the corner of the mouth and am near non-existent. I can’t help but feel like the quiet backbencher who always gets caught for something they never did. Wrong place, wrong time, every time.

I have often wondered if there is a heaven for wisdom teeth. I am told of a place called the rainbow bridge where pets go after they die and dutifully wait for their masters to join them. Imagine a place like that for all the wisdom teeth in the world. Whether they want to be reunited with their masters is something to chew on.

The Execution

It happens without much warning. There is no waiting for the governor’s pardon, no last minute pleas, no heartfelt thank yous. My master opens his mouth and instead of seeing the usual stuffing of some cholesterol laden snack, I see a pair of eyes prying. I stare back, giving my meanest look. It isn’t menacing enough as the next moment, I’m tapped by an instrument.  I wince and then the sentence is pronounced –‘shall I extract it?’ The ungrateful wretch nods like the moron that I always knew he was. This is it. If I had known, I would have at least come prepared with a last lecture worthy of a TED Talk.

There is no time for long winded goodbyes. I see a tear roll down second molar, my best buddy since childhood. Though central incisor and myself have shared a few laughs, we weren't that close to be called buddies. My thoughts are interrupted by a ghastly sight. I see a syringe; in other words, a lethal injection by my standards.

Remember the movie Dead Man Walking, where everyone is sobbing profusely as they say goodbyes to the condemned prisoner?  Like they say, it happens only in the movies. I’m no hardened criminal (hardened maybe), but I’m treated like one.

The needle makes contact with the inner lining. I watch as my master endures the pain and just for a moment, I feel sorry for the fellow. Then, an instrument that looks straight out of a Transistors movie clasps me. I’m held by the scruff of my neck and yanked hard. I lose my bearings a little and wobble. If you’re wondering if your entire life passes you by before you die, I am here to assure you that it does. But it doesn't happen in a moment, that much I can tell you. If you are walking and a piece of frozen food hit you on the head, you really don’t have time to have your entire life pass you by. On the other hand, in torturous deaths like mine where you can see yourself being executed, you have time to think about a lot of stuff and even replay some of it.

The drilling stops. Maybe I am a tough nut to crack after all. Just as waves of optimism are beginning to wash over me, I am again shaken. This time the sense of finality is unmistakable. In the movies, even after the villain is broken, beaten and scarred, the hero lands a final and defining blow, what I call the point of no return blow. That’s what I’m being subject to.

I lose consciousness as I am slowly hacked up and split into a million pieces. As I fade out of consciousness, I remember only one question that I have been asking myself ever since my mortality became apparent - if there is a god, why did he, in all his wisdom, create wisdom teeth?

Condolences

The wisdom tooth passed away extremely painfully while it was wide awake, surrounded by close friends and relatives.

It is sorely missed.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When an Iyer met an Iyengar

If you see my parents, they look like the quintessential arranged marriage couple. After nearly 35 years together, they still take care not to touch each other while posing for a photograph and my mother’s smile dangles precariously between a smile and a grimace. But this image discolours the truth a tad. Some 40 years back, they met at work, fell in love and got married. The talking point of the union being mom’s status as an iyengar and dad’s as an iyer. Simply put, the iyers and the iyengars are two castes of the Brahmin community, each, when given the chance, profess superiority to each other on all counts. If you listen closely, an Iyengar talking about an Iyer will say ‘Iyer a?’ in a condescending tone. And vice versa. Mom tells me that when she told her dad about the marriage, he vowed to stand by her at any cost. Dad never told me what happened, but allow me to hazard a guess. His mother (my grandmother), threatened to go on a fast unto death. My dad threatened to go

Rasam rice

Picture courtesy - Natasha Shiggaon Luthra On some days, Bangalore weather becomes nostalgic. And for some time, everyone is permitted to live in the past. On one such June day, the sun wistfully playing hide and seek and the clouds emitting just enough raindrops for an instagram photo, the weather flirting with winter, the craving for rasam becomes telling. Rasam. Rasam rice. Whichever, doesn’t matter. First, use your fingers to make space in the middle of a heap of rice. Don’t protest when the dollop of ghee gleefully sinks into the rice. The rasam should scald, otherwise the ride isn’t worth it. The flesh on your fingers crawl when you dip them into the rasam, but trust me, keep with it. No good thing has been known to ever come easy. The impatient wait for a few seconds and an insignificant morsel is savoured. Gooseflesh ensues. Slowly but steadily, bigger portions are savoured. to enhance the experience and attain nirvana, combine it with cr

#If life were like an instagram feed

I read a quote sometime back that went something like this - "Jealously is how much fun you think they had." At some point in the evolution of social media, quality of life began to be measured by a person's social media feed. And you think that person must be having the time of their life. No dull moment. No faux pas. Every moment so tailor-made to create a thing of beauty. You will be misled into thinking that people were waking up daily to a view so beautiful that it seemed right out of a tourism guide and that every meal was a Michelin rated gourmet style offering. If life were like an instagram feed, the day would begin on a cottage in the hills, a selfie with the morning mist in the background. Breakfast wouldn't be poha, idli, sambhar or anything that bears resemblance to the ordinary or everyday. It will be crepes with chocolate sauce, some orange juice, french toast with a side of bacon and waffles with maple syrup. You could use the filter 'Rise&#