Skip to main content

What came first, the festival or the God?

Do you have to believe in God and religion to celebrate festivals? 

When I was a kid, the sleepless nights would begin a week in advance. My paati would start preparing bhakshanams and the entire home would be infused with the aroma of the savouries being prepared. On the day of Diwali, we would begin celebrations at the crack of dawn and never really stopped. The first day of school after Diwali was the worse. The only thing that comes close to that feeling now are Monday mornings.

Now, I know Diwali is close when I open the newspaper and see 3 consecutive full-page ads from e-commerce sites, all shouting out offers that I really cannot differentiate. There is a pre-Diwali sale, Diwali sale and post-Diwali depression sale. I still enjoy festivals, but a lot of my beliefs have gone up in smoke in the interim years.

We are all born believers. I never grew up in an overtly religious family. My parents, thankfully, didn't thrust any godman down our throats or make us wear our religion on our sleeve. The concept of God and religion were always at odds with me. Born and raised in a Tamil Brahmin house but schooled in a Catholic institution, I thought nothing of eating the chicken that my catholic friends brought in their tiffin boxes. And this was when I was in second standard.

I never understood the significance of my thread ceremony because neither my dad or any of other brahmin friends performed sandhya vandanam. If you wore a poonal, the one thing that people could deduce about you and be right in most cases was that you were vegetarian. I would later learn the atrocities that brahmins heaped on generations and why they are now reviled. At some point, I questioned the concept of God or a force that is watching over us, a force that is just and has our best interests in mind.

The journey from belief to non-belief is a long and arduous one. Belief is instant, non-belief isn't. Belief is like chocolate ice-cream, or Sachin Tendulkar, things you don't question. There have been many instances but two incidents from my life have had a very strong bearing on my arduous journey to non-belief. 

In my first year of college, one my school friends died in a road accident. He was an extremely bright chap with cat eyes that sprung out at you. He was also the only child of a single mother who worked hard to give her son the best life had to offer, only to have it all taken away from her.

The second was a cousin who was suffering from chronic pain and decided to end her life when her two children were sleeping. When they woke up, they found their mother hanging by her dupatta, barely a feet from the ground. I got the call when I was in office.

Where was God then? Tap dancing? Acting on someone else's reverent prayer?

Years ago, we had visited Tirupati and I saw someone give the priest a 100 rupee note so he could prostrate in front of the deity for 15 seconds more. In the ensuing years, my dislike for organised religion only grew. I saw people spend lakhs on the final rites of someone when they barely even took care of the person when they were alive.

At some point in our upbringing, religion got equated with morality. As you came to the age of reason and got better versed with the ways of the world, you are subject to reading about religious figures who molest and rape their followers in the name of God and get away with it, fugitives from justice who don't pay salaries to their employees but donate crores to a temple hoping to appease the Gods. You see VIP queues in temples for people who already have more than they know what to do with, while the lesser fortunate wait endlessly for their turn. 

But I have an admission to make - I love festivals. And I don't mind visiting temples as long as I'm not pushed around like some stray dog. 

My wife calls me a fake atheist.

She's right.

I love festivals unabashedly for three reasons:

a. The food. The food. The food.
b. It's a holiday
c. It brings people together

Festivals bring families together under the pretext of some mythological story and during festivals, god thankfully takes a back seat. I can do without the processions that block traffic and smoke and sound from crackers that give me a migraine. 

In that sense, festivals and religion aren't one and the same. 

Religion divides, festivals unite. 

Of course I'll be celebrating Diwali this year with an overdose of sweets and family. 

I'm just not sure I'll be celebrating God too. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When an Iyer met an Iyengar

If you see my parents, they look like the quintessential arranged marriage couple. After nearly 35 years together, they still take care not to touch each other while posing for a photograph and my mother’s smile dangles precariously between a smile and a grimace. But this image discolours the truth a tad. Some 40 years back, they met at work, fell in love and got married. The talking point of the union being mom’s status as an iyengar and dad’s as an iyer. Simply put, the iyers and the iyengars are two castes of the Brahmin community, each, when given the chance, profess superiority to each other on all counts. If you listen closely, an Iyengar talking about an Iyer will say ‘Iyer a?’ in a condescending tone. And vice versa. Mom tells me that when she told her dad about the marriage, he vowed to stand by her at any cost. Dad never told me what happened, but allow me to hazard a guess. His mother (my grandmother), threatened to go on a fast unto death. My dad threatened to go

Rasam rice

Picture courtesy - Natasha Shiggaon Luthra On some days, Bangalore weather becomes nostalgic. And for some time, everyone is permitted to live in the past. On one such June day, the sun wistfully playing hide and seek and the clouds emitting just enough raindrops for an instagram photo, the weather flirting with winter, the craving for rasam becomes telling. Rasam. Rasam rice. Whichever, doesn’t matter. First, use your fingers to make space in the middle of a heap of rice. Don’t protest when the dollop of ghee gleefully sinks into the rice. The rasam should scald, otherwise the ride isn’t worth it. The flesh on your fingers crawl when you dip them into the rasam, but trust me, keep with it. No good thing has been known to ever come easy. The impatient wait for a few seconds and an insignificant morsel is savoured. Gooseflesh ensues. Slowly but steadily, bigger portions are savoured. to enhance the experience and attain nirvana, combine it with cr

#If life were like an instagram feed

I read a quote sometime back that went something like this - "Jealously is how much fun you think they had." At some point in the evolution of social media, quality of life began to be measured by a person's social media feed. And you think that person must be having the time of their life. No dull moment. No faux pas. Every moment so tailor-made to create a thing of beauty. You will be misled into thinking that people were waking up daily to a view so beautiful that it seemed right out of a tourism guide and that every meal was a Michelin rated gourmet style offering. If life were like an instagram feed, the day would begin on a cottage in the hills, a selfie with the morning mist in the background. Breakfast wouldn't be poha, idli, sambhar or anything that bears resemblance to the ordinary or everyday. It will be crepes with chocolate sauce, some orange juice, french toast with a side of bacon and waffles with maple syrup. You could use the filter 'Rise&#