Skip to main content

Chris Cornell, and the school of rock



The music app on my phone had a notification. It read 'Remembering Chris Cornell'. After devouring a 4 course Andhra lunch, I was a bit groggy and it took more than a few seconds for me to  it. Isn't remembering used only when you are talking about someone who is no longer there? I was listening to Soundgarden just a few days back. In an My hands, working quicker than my mind, leapt to the keyboard and typed his name. Sure enough, the flood of bad news was all over the internet and the good feelings from my 4 course lunch quickly evaporated.

Soundgarden was a great band but I never obsessed over them like I did over other bands. There was a time when I listened to Black Hole Sun and later to Like a Stone on loop, two songs that harnessed Cornell's breadth of voice but the story of how his voice, among many, came into my life is what I will always remember.

I like to think of it as the summer of rock. Or the summer I lost my rock virginity.

There is a room in my home. It has 2 cartons that are filled with old cassette tapes. Last year, I went on to google and typed 'how to use old cassette tapes.' the options ranged from using them to make pen stands to lamp covers. I even sat down to make a half-assed pen stand and resolved to manufacture a few more pen stands and give it as gifts to people who came home during Dasara. None of that has happened and the boxes of tapes still lay in cartons, waiting to sentenced to the gallows of extinction or a slightly more interesting after-life as pen stands.

But in those cartons lies a story.

Rewind back to the end of the 90s. Backstreet boys released their magnum opus Millennium and boy bands were being manufactured in some boy band factory that all produced songs that reeked and spoke of the same topics - heartbreak, desire, unrequited love and fucking without using the word fuck. At some point they ran out of names to call themselves and one band, after possibly exhausting all possible names, called themselves 911.  

I know because I went and bought all those bands. They polluted my cassette rack, my mind and soul and music education. I then moved homes and my friends circle suddenly changed to a bunch of guys older to me and with musical tastes that were, to put in simple terms, evolved. 

In the movie Chronicles of Narnia, Lucy opens a wardrobe and discovers a fascinating parallel universe that exists inside. I wish my life was as interesting but my schooling in rock began it pretty much the same manner - when I opened a cupboard. I was at house of one of my older friends when he causally mentioned that I could take a look at his music collection. I opened the draw and it was like all there - tapes, CDs, reams and reams of rock music. Aerosmith, Tom petty, Soundgarden, The Verve, Pearl jam, Nirvana, Collective soul, Goo Goo Dolls, Ugly Kid Joe, Metallica, Def Leppard. 

If someone gave you a million bucks, the biggest problem you will be faced with is where to begin spending it. I was faced with that dilemma. Then there was another dilemma. Before mp3s and later, apps, robbed us of the ephermal joy of building a music collection from scratch, seeking and hunting music. My sister and  would painstakingly put down a list of songs and give it to the cassette shop guy to record. Tape to tape was 5o bucks. CD to tape was 100 bucks. 


Damn, I miss the pleasure of waiting for your favourite song. 

The discovery of the treasure trove posed a small problem - that of storage. Even my personal computer was few years away and I was left to think of other options to encash my haul and make copies for myself. I then realised what my friend had done - he had recorded on old cassette tapes, cut pieces of paper in the same size as the cassette box and written the names of the songs painstakingly on them. 

Without a second thought, I proceeded to do the same. A host of hindi cassettes and boyband tapes got upgraded to rock. Baazigar became Gin Blossoms, Human Nature became Ugly Kid Joe. In the gaps between songs, you could still hear remnants of the original inhabitants of the tape, like ghosts whose screams were drowned out. I did that all summer. Recorded, cut paper, wrote songs and listened to them until my ears bled. 


My wife wants me to give away the cartons away. I have cajoled and pleaded for more time. I will recreate them into pieces of art, relics from the past forced to change form to survive. 

If you still cared to dust one of those boxes, I'm sure you can still hear Chris Cornell's voice raging against the dying light. 

One day you might receive a fancy pen stand made of cassette tapes and you will marvel at how cool it is. 

For you, it's a pen stand. In another lifetime, it was the soundtrack to someone's life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When an Iyer met an Iyengar

If you see my parents, they look like the quintessential arranged marriage couple. After nearly 35 years together, they still take care not to touch each other while posing for a photograph and my mother’s smile dangles precariously between a smile and a grimace. But this image discolours the truth a tad. Some 40 years back, they met at work, fell in love and got married. The talking point of the union being mom’s status as an iyengar and dad’s as an iyer. Simply put, the iyers and the iyengars are two castes of the Brahmin community, each, when given the chance, profess superiority to each other on all counts. If you listen closely, an Iyengar talking about an Iyer will say ‘Iyer a?’ in a condescending tone. And vice versa. Mom tells me that when she told her dad about the marriage, he vowed to stand by her at any cost. Dad never told me what happened, but allow me to hazard a guess. His mother (my grandmother), threatened to go on a fast unto death. My dad threatened to go

Rasam rice

Picture courtesy - Natasha Shiggaon Luthra On some days, Bangalore weather becomes nostalgic. And for some time, everyone is permitted to live in the past. On one such June day, the sun wistfully playing hide and seek and the clouds emitting just enough raindrops for an instagram photo, the weather flirting with winter, the craving for rasam becomes telling. Rasam. Rasam rice. Whichever, doesn’t matter. First, use your fingers to make space in the middle of a heap of rice. Don’t protest when the dollop of ghee gleefully sinks into the rice. The rasam should scald, otherwise the ride isn’t worth it. The flesh on your fingers crawl when you dip them into the rasam, but trust me, keep with it. No good thing has been known to ever come easy. The impatient wait for a few seconds and an insignificant morsel is savoured. Gooseflesh ensues. Slowly but steadily, bigger portions are savoured. to enhance the experience and attain nirvana, combine it with cr

#If life were like an instagram feed

I read a quote sometime back that went something like this - "Jealously is how much fun you think they had." At some point in the evolution of social media, quality of life began to be measured by a person's social media feed. And you think that person must be having the time of their life. No dull moment. No faux pas. Every moment so tailor-made to create a thing of beauty. You will be misled into thinking that people were waking up daily to a view so beautiful that it seemed right out of a tourism guide and that every meal was a Michelin rated gourmet style offering. If life were like an instagram feed, the day would begin on a cottage in the hills, a selfie with the morning mist in the background. Breakfast wouldn't be poha, idli, sambhar or anything that bears resemblance to the ordinary or everyday. It will be crepes with chocolate sauce, some orange juice, french toast with a side of bacon and waffles with maple syrup. You could use the filter 'Rise&#