Skip to main content

The Seven not-so spiritual laws for the new cook

I am an unapologetic foodie. Though I can no longer wolf down a 7 course meal and follow it up with 7 Mysore Paks and then ask what’s for dinner, there are days where I can still resuscitate my teenage self and come close. Of course I have preferences. I have a weakness for South Indian food and I'm subconsciously always afraid that all Italian food will be bland and tasteless, even though I have been proved wrong time and again. At the end of every extravagant buffet, I dutifully round it up with a serving of curd rice.


For the most part, I ate food. I sat back and waited for it to arrive. Be it at home or elsewhere. The arms and legs of my culinary skills extended to making a really delectable plate of omelette (with onion and green chilli) and Top Ramen Smoodles (with capsicum and carrot), and a drinkable cup of filter coffee (there was never any instant coffee powder in the house to fall back upon).


Bred on my grandmother's impeccable and irreplaceable culinary magic that stretched over 60 years spent in the kitchen, learning and perfecting her craft like Picasso crafting his paintings, my taste buds were enveloped in dishes that were near flawless. This luxury also lent to another flaw that would come back to bite me -  a sharp tongue when it came to passing judgement on food.


Whoever said that it is easy to have an opinion than to actually do something was right. Like Shobha De who ridiculed the athletes in Rio without even remotely understanding what it took for them to fight the system and get to where they were, critiquing someone else’s cooking falls in the same bracket.


Then lightning struck in the form of marriage.


Appalled at my illiteracy when it came to anything to do with cooking up a meal to save Masterchef self, she immediately put me to work in the kitchen. In a bid to prove that I was no deer in the headlights when it came to culinary expertise, I set forth to prove all of my detractors wrong.


Since that fateful day, the following things have occurred:


I didn’t know you had to put water in the cooker and kept the flame on high, waiting for the whistle. If I had waited a few minutes more, the house would have blown up and you could have seen the flames from Chandrayaan.


I didn’t realise that bhindi needed to be fried well. I fried it for five minutes and it made a bit of crunching sound, which needless to say, isn’t pleasing to the ear, or your taste buds.


I hated math with a vengeance and this has caught up with me when it came to understanding measurements. In my first (and last till date) attempt at baking, I randomly added sugar and flour. Much to my surprise, a pleasant aroma wafted through the house and I kicked myself on my beginner’s luck. When I finally opened the oven, what was supposed to be Apple cake, wasn’t. Neither was it a pudding. It was like a mystery being from space.


The first dish I ever made was Dum aloo. Like the player who scores a century on debut and believes that all challenges have been overcome and that there is no other peak to scale, the dum aloo actually turned out half-decent, giving me a completely false sense of confidence.


All the near mishaps and misadventures followed soon after.


For the uninitiated, here’s a quick cheat sheet to navigate your way through the labyrinth. I call it the seven not so spiritual laws for the new cook:



First law - Learn your spices. More importantly, learn how they look 


When I saw jeera, I spent 15 minutes searching for the dabba before finding it and then comparing google images of jeera to the actual thing.


Second law - Keep all the spices ready 


When you're halfway through preparing a dish, that isn't the time to figure out that there is no bay leaf, or clove, or amchur.


Third law - Don't refer to a firangi recipe 


What the fuck is fenugreek? Or fennel?  Firang recipes all have names you don't know for stuff you know by the Indian name. If you just type India after the dish name, the odds of you getting a decipherable recipe are greater.


Fourth law – Recipes aren’t cast in stone


Sure you can’t make dum alu without alu. Or paneer butter masala without paneer. But you can cook up something edible with tomato, onion and a few spices. Recipes are meant to be elaborate. That doesn’t mean you begin cooking only when you have your fridge stocked.


Fifth law – Learn to troubleshoot  


When you add 5 red chillies to a bowl of chutney, you also need to know how to douse the fire.


Sixth law – Comfort food should be easy to make


Comfort food isn’t just what makes you feel comfortable. It’s what you can dish out in 10 minutes when your house is suddenly hijacked by unwanted guests. It shouldn’t take half an hour to decipher and then 1 hour to prepare.


Seventh law - Learn to take criticism (or the law of karma)


All your life you sat smugly, giving feedback and passing comments without any thought. Back at ya! People saying hmmmm or not coming back for seconds can be some of the most disheartening moments in life. Shrug it off and get your sorry weeping self-back in the kitchen.


Eighth law (bonus) – All food delivery apps are for damage control


Self-explanatory.


Bon appetit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When an Iyer met an Iyengar

If you see my parents, they look like the quintessential arranged marriage couple. After nearly 35 years together, they still take care not to touch each other while posing for a photograph and my mother’s smile dangles precariously between a smile and a grimace. But this image discolours the truth a tad. Some 40 years back, they met at work, fell in love and got married. The talking point of the union being mom’s status as an iyengar and dad’s as an iyer. Simply put, the iyers and the iyengars are two castes of the Brahmin community, each, when given the chance, profess superiority to each other on all counts. If you listen closely, an Iyengar talking about an Iyer will say ‘Iyer a?’ in a condescending tone. And vice versa. Mom tells me that when she told her dad about the marriage, he vowed to stand by her at any cost. Dad never told me what happened, but allow me to hazard a guess. His mother (my grandmother), threatened to go on a fast unto death. My dad threatened to go

Rasam rice

Picture courtesy - Natasha Shiggaon Luthra On some days, Bangalore weather becomes nostalgic. And for some time, everyone is permitted to live in the past. On one such June day, the sun wistfully playing hide and seek and the clouds emitting just enough raindrops for an instagram photo, the weather flirting with winter, the craving for rasam becomes telling. Rasam. Rasam rice. Whichever, doesn’t matter. First, use your fingers to make space in the middle of a heap of rice. Don’t protest when the dollop of ghee gleefully sinks into the rice. The rasam should scald, otherwise the ride isn’t worth it. The flesh on your fingers crawl when you dip them into the rasam, but trust me, keep with it. No good thing has been known to ever come easy. The impatient wait for a few seconds and an insignificant morsel is savoured. Gooseflesh ensues. Slowly but steadily, bigger portions are savoured. to enhance the experience and attain nirvana, combine it with cr

#If life were like an instagram feed

I read a quote sometime back that went something like this - "Jealously is how much fun you think they had." At some point in the evolution of social media, quality of life began to be measured by a person's social media feed. And you think that person must be having the time of their life. No dull moment. No faux pas. Every moment so tailor-made to create a thing of beauty. You will be misled into thinking that people were waking up daily to a view so beautiful that it seemed right out of a tourism guide and that every meal was a Michelin rated gourmet style offering. If life were like an instagram feed, the day would begin on a cottage in the hills, a selfie with the morning mist in the background. Breakfast wouldn't be poha, idli, sambhar or anything that bears resemblance to the ordinary or everyday. It will be crepes with chocolate sauce, some orange juice, french toast with a side of bacon and waffles with maple syrup. You could use the filter 'Rise&#